THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Paths of Eden

Today it is sunny. The sky is laughing blue and the sounds of summer mingle upon the air. A bird sweeps past above my head maybe foraging for food? Or perhaps it is bringing a worm to its young? Or maybe it is in the grip of a fever? I love this sunlit day. The path; the glorious path is awash with mystery, inviting me down for a closer look. I'm outside the front of my house at the moment, but I know there are more choice cuts of path on offer around the corner outside the houses where old people live. I make my way across the hot road. The path just here is ugly, but I know it won't be long before I find what I'm looking for.
As I walk, a small white Opel Corsa from 1989 passes me slowly by, driven by a some wrinkles sitting under a curly white mass. I salute silently, wondering if she is looking forward to some biscuits sitting in the press at home. I'll call into her later to see how she's doing. After all, there is responsibility in being a citizen of this housing estate.
I spot a sandy coloured dog ahead of me on the grass which separates the path from the curb. It is busy sniffing out an old ice lolly wrapper.
'No lolly left!' I laugh and pass the hound by.
The path now is beginning to improve; the cement a beautiful grey with flecks of mysterious sparkling gem stones. Just a little further and I shall be entering Eden. Nobody else is around, they must be having their noon lunch. The sun feels so good; heating my shoulders and evaporating the sweat from my face.
An ice cream van jingles a merry tune off in the distance. Sounds like it might be in Riverside.
Just then, I stop. The path here is just right. I get down on my hands and knees and inspect it up close. Yes, this is what I've been waiting for. The path is completely dry and warmed by the sun. The colour is neither too light a grey or too dark and contains just the right amount of minute pebbles and gem stones. I've often contemplated picking these jewels out and making a handsome bracelet or brooch out of them but I know that wouldn't be fair to my neighbours - these paths are owned by all. Whatever people say about the state of the world right now I always take solace in the fact that no one has ever robbed these paths of their gems - everyone has a line I suppose. Soon I'm lying with my face against the path, cradled comfortably in the domestic bliss of my estate. It's not long before I'm asleep and I end up resting there for over an hour.

0 comments: